Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peer Pressure

Amanda Cloutier-Santos

Peer pressure can be found anywhere. There is no specific age to be bullied, and peer pressure is generally found among teenagers. Most of the time self esteem drops.

People usually believe that bullies can be their friends. The article, Teenager’s stories: What I learned the hard way about Teenage Peer Pressure quotes, “Is it worth feeling bad about yourself just to be friends with someone who doesn’t deserve your friendship?” I asked a few questions to three students from Rosemere High School.

Some students that have been peer pressured have refrained from doing something simply because others thought it was ‘stupid’. Brittany Wright, a student from RHS, states, “Sometimes I would hold out what I really wanted to say, not saying my opinions because I was scared to be called a baby.”

Others however, find themselves either being the bully or witnessing a scene involving bullying. When asked for their opinion, Jennifer Haddad, another student said, “Even though I may have wanted someone to do something, I never pressured them into it. I know that if it was the other way around, I wouldn’t want to be forced into something that I didn’t want to do.”

Preventing someone from being peer pressured can be as simple as talking them out of it. “I just convinced the person that they do what they want to do, and that it would be lame for them to do something just because someone told them to,” answered Sarah BĂ©lec-Wolf when asked if she ever stopped someone in this situation.

Peer pressure is not only used negatively, but when asked if she ever peer pressured someone, Sarah answered, “Not if pushing someone to do what they want counts.” This is the positive side of peer pressure; people help others by using it to push them into believing in themselves, and do whatever they were scared to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment